And the Intertraffic Innovation Award 2014 nominees are...
- 23 January, 2014
JURY SELECTS 15 CANDIDATES
The seventh Intertraffic Innovation Award for the most innovative exhibit will be presented during Intertraffic Amsterdam 2014 (25-28 March), the leading international trade event for infrastructure, ITS traffic management, safety and parking. An international jury has selected a shortlist of nominees from 60 entries competing for the Intertraffic Innovation Award 2014. Sectoral awards will be presented in each of the five categories: infrastructure, ITS traffic management, safety, parking and smart mobility. One of five winners will then be chosen as the overall winner of the Intertraffic Innovation Award. The Awards will be presented on 25 March during the opening ceremony of Intertraffic Amsterdam.
Shortlisted companies in the infrastructure category:
- ArcelorMittal Flat Carbon Europe S.A. (Luxemburg) - Magnelis® - Stand 05.328 Magnelis®, a zinc aluminium magnesium metallic coating combined with high strength low alloy steel, supports manufacturers in their design of road equipments EN 1317 compliant and enhances safety on roads. This steel combination is lighter; it better absorbs crash energy and ensures 10 times longer durability, improving the environmental performances of road equipments.
- Agmi Traffic & Lighting (Netherlands) - Agmi Area Lighting – Stand 11.108 The Agmi Area Lighting can be used in many different applications by changing the lens photometry that is located on the modules. One of the main advantages is that the lumen output of each individual module can be controlled separately. The modules are fixed in a certain way that each of them can be adjusted individually in the X or Y direction.
- dresden elektronik verkehrstechnik gmbh (Germany) – deZign – Stand 11.718 deZign is an innovation in the field of electronic passenger information systems. The maintenance-free display is based on electronic ink (EInk) technology and requires no energy while displaying fixed content. Only the data update needs minimal energy which can be provided by a solar panel. The timetable change is done at the push of a button from a central.
Shortlisted companies in the ITS traffic management category:
- Imtech Traffic & Infra (Netherlands) – ImCity – Stand 10.101 ImCity is the heart of a Smart City connecting everything together. Its strategy manager turns data into action by making policy-aligned decisions. The user interface presents the current status, acting as a ‘dashboard’ to the policies’ effectiveness and showing impacts of trade-offs made. Integrating data also enables new added value solutions to emerge further supporting a city’s policies.
- Iteris Inc. (USA) - SmartCycle® - Stand 11.328 The SmartCycle® s/w upgrade to the entire Vantage® family discriminately detects bicycles anywhere in a VIDS’ field of view while simultaneously providing "regular" detection of all other vehicles in the same unit. The separate bike-only detection output enables enhanced safety for bicyclists and signalized intersection efficiency - longer passage times are granted only when a bike is detected.
- Trafic Technologie Systeme (France) - Solar Temporary Traffic Light – Stand 05.218A Solar powered Temporary Traffic Light with a waiting time display.
Shortlisted companies in the safety category:
- CIDRO (Spain) – CROSSAFE – Stand 05.442 The first safety protector in the world designed for mitigating impacts of passenger cars and motorcyclists against road culvert ends. This protector has been tested in an accredited crash test laboratory, using the same impact test acceptance criteria as the one used for road safety barriers in the standards EN 1317-2 and TS 1317-8.
- Sistemas Palazón C.B. (Spain) – Sistemas Palazón – Stand 01.306 The product consists of a metal box installed under urban equipment (streetlamps, pillars, signposts…), which dismantles on its own in case of impact. Thanks to this piece, the equipment will release very easily, so the vehicle will not suffer big damages in its bodywork and will avoid severe accidents but, most of all, will reduce the number of human losses.
- TNO (Netherlands) - SaveCAP airbag – Stand 09.107B A proof of concept of a windscreen airbag and automatic braking system to protect cyclists and pedestrians in a collision with a vehicle. Key to the innovation is an advanced sensing system to detect and recognise cyclists and pedestrians. The SaveCAP project acts as a catalyst to create public and industry awareness for cyclist and pedestrian safety.
Shortlisted companies in the parking category:
- Edesix Ltd (United Kingdom) - VideoBadge2 – Stand 03.422 VideoBadge2 is the new professional body worn video system from Edesix. High quality video and audio recording, with built-in encryption for data security and evidence integrity. It boasts full shift recording capability in both daylight and low light conditions. It also features a 150° wide angle lens, pre-record function and forward facing activation switch to ensure total incident capture.
- SCANaCAR (Netherlands) - Parking Space Classifier – Stand 03.228 SCANaCAR recognizes and classifies (empty) parking spaces. This opens the way to mapping out parking areas and informing drivers and navigation systems about available parking spaces. It also enables efficient enforcement of illegal parking (load & unload, disabled places, etc.). SCANaCAR equipped its ScanAutos now with very precise localization (below 35 cm. accuracy) and new detection techniques.
- SKIDATA AG (Austria) - Barrier.Gate ‘smart’ – Stand 09.204 The Barrier.Gate is an intelligent system without column. As an inexpensive solution for long-term parking facilities it combines column and barrier in one product. Less consumption of energy and space are just a few sustainable benefits. The barrier communicates via light signals of the integrated track light; the built-in camera helps to prevent vandalism and sneaking through a closing barrier.
Shortlisted companies in the smart mobility category:
- DTV Consultants (Netherlands) - B-Riders Brabant – Stand 09.110 B-riders is the first project ever to closely follow a large group of bike users (2500 participants) for over a larger period of time (1 year). A highly innovative bike tracking system was developed, and implemented. An app automatically registers all trips 24/7, the system autonomously analyses trips and categorizes them into the categories: foot, car, public transport or bike.
- HR Groep Traffic & Signing (Netherlands) – BMS – Stand 04.306 BMS Bicycle Management System. The new way of cycle parking, the end of chaos, the solution for many city councils, helping you get your city centers neat and clean and invite to use bicycles. With the mobile application the cyclist can easily find a free bike parking on his phone when he or she goes to a destination by bicycle.
- Stalker Radar (USA) - CopTrax In-Car Video - Stand 04.428 CopTrax In-car video - Integrated with Google Glass and Stalker Radar. With no bulky DVR, CopTrax is a software solution using the patrol vehicle’s laptop to record and stream video through 3G/4G or WiFi for Cloud storage or department’s servers. A Command and Control Center accessible from any Internet connected computer displays device locations, search, and playback with GPS tracking data.
The juryThe 2014 jury consists of:
- Dr. Peter van der Knaap (Chairman of the Jury) – Managing Director of the Dutch National Road Safety Research Institute (SWOV), The Netherlands
- Colin Sowman - Editor ITS International, Route One Publishing Ltd., United Kingdom
- Peter H. Martens - Director Business Intelligence, Q-Park International, Member of the Advisory Council of Directors the European Parking Association (EPA), The Netherlands
- Nick Bradley - Editor Traffic Technology International, UKIP Media & Events Ltd, United Kingdom
- Dr. Ir. B.J.C.M. (Ben) Rutten - Program Manager, Strategic Area Smart Mobility Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
AMREF Flying Doctors
The world of traffic and transportation is always evolving and looking for new opportunities. Innovations are crucial to this, which is why Intertraffic supports them via the Innovation Award. We are also committed to improving a wider world, and are therefore donating a substantial part of the Innovation Award registration fee to AMREF Flying Doctors.
Intertraffic is the world’s largest and most influential trade event for infrastructure, ITS traffic management, safety and parking. It provides a comprehensive overview of the very latest products, services and solutions offered by suppliers. It also showcases the latest trends and developments. Intertraffic is intended for policymakers, specialists and operational personnel from government authorities, engineering consultancies, and the industry at large.
Note to the editor (not for publication):
For more information, please contact the Communications & PR manager: Carola Jansen-Young